Prevent DVD autoloading in Etch

I have a rewritable DVD containing Video CD data (ie it plays in a domestic DVD player). I created the disc using K3B (in Etch). I want to overwrite the data using K3B. If I insert the disc, it automatically opens in the "Movie Player" Totem (Gnome desktop). K3B is then unable to detect the disc. The drive led continues to show activity even after Totem is closed and also after "umount /cdrom" is issued - K3B is still unable to detect the disc.

/etc/fstab contains this entry:
   /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

"top" suggests that there is a hal daemon process when the disc is inserted.

Does anyone know how I can prevent the DVD disc being autodetected? Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Chris.