Re: mouse freaks out

Jason Dunsmore wrote:
My Logitech usb mouse (model M-BT96a) has a tendancy to freak out a
couple of times per hour.  When this happens, the mouse cursor
suddenly goes to one of the screen corners.  When I try to reorient
myself by moving the mouse to see where it went, the mouse moves
rapidly all over the screen.  Normality is restored about 3 seconds
after this happens.  I've tried three different Logitech mice, and
they all have this problem.  I'm using Enlightenment with Debian Etch
and kernel 2.6.16.13.  Any idea what the problem is?

I've had this problem with a Microsoft mouse. I attribute it to the surface the laser is reflecting on (wood with dark lines going through it). Surfaces that have repeatable patterns tend to confuse an optical mouse, and will sometimes result in the mouse moving rapidly across the screen. Once you move the mouse a bit more, it will stop being confused and return to normal.

So, I guess my point is: If you're using your mouse on a surface that is not monochrome, try putting a piece of blank paper under the mouse and see if the problem still happens.

--Ben