APM no kernel support ? Use Software suspend 2 ? how ?

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
I had sarge on a Compaq Armada 3500 notebook.  No ACPI,
but APM suspend to disk was working with an upstream
kernel with APM compiled in.
Fresh etch install on the same system, 2.6.17-2-686.
modprobe apm gives

apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
apm: overridden by ACPI
FATAL: Error inserting apm ([path]/apm.ko) no such device."

I added acpi=off to the kernel command line in GRUB, but
I got ACPI anyway.
Is there some boot time kernel argument to shut off ACPI
in this kernel?  Should I use Software Suspend 2?
Is it in Debian's kernel already or do I have to make
my own?  There's a Debian page in the Suspend2 Wiki but
it was written when sarge was testing and it's not clear
what still applies.

Cameron