Re: backup archive format saved to disk

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 07:08:54PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> Yes. But I don't want to loose any data at all.

there is no way to guarantee this. you could improve your odds by
having multiple storage locations with multiple copies and a rigorous
method for routinely testing the backup media for corruption and
making new replacement copies of the backups to prevent future loss.

For example, make multiple identical backups. sprinkle them in various
locations. on a periodic, routine basis, test those backups for
possible corruption. If their clean, make a new copy anyway to put in
rotation, throwing away the old ones after so many periods. If you
find a corrupt one, get one of your clean ones to reproduce it and
start over.

there is now way, using only one physical storage medium, to guarantee
no loss of data.

maybe I;'m reading this wrong , but it seems to be what you're asking for.