fairly dumb question about icewm floppy icon and desktop software....

Dear Debian folks,

I recently stuck a 13 GB drive in a Gateway 2000 Pentium 133 Mhz ancient PC.

I loaded Sarge 3.1 r3 on it.

This was a slow process and involved a certain amount of farting around in the installation but in the end it worked.

On a machine like this gnome is a non-starter.  It is too slow.

So I bunged icewm on instead and it works OK speed wise.

It feels right.

But I have some ignorances that are spoiling my fun a bit.

One thing is that I can't seem to find any icon for the floppy like there is in gnome.

What do you do here? Do you open a terminal window put the floppy in and use the mount command to read it?

What about a CD?

Another problem I have is that Openoffice takes ages to load and I think the machine is struggling a bit with it.

There doesn't seem to be any abiword or whatever it is in the default icewm installation. Presumably if I install abiword using apt then it will be automatically incorporated into the icon set up and I will be able to fire it up from the window manager....

It's shame that Openoffice 1.1 is so slow because I like what it does....

A smaller spreadsheet software would also be useful.

I ended up using the openoffice print manager or whatever it is to configure the printer.

I trust this is what you are supposed to do. It didn't have as many drivers as the gnome beastie and so I am not sure if it will drive the Epson C86 smelly inkjet printer I use.

I will do what I can with it.

Suggestions on how to get this system to work about as well as can be expected given the old hardwre would be appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters