Re: Media player

On 11/30/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 18:16:29 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 16:00:05 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:

[...]

> >> Where do I import the public key from??? I have been digging around
> >> Sunet.se but can't seem to find it.
> >
> >The safest way to get Christian Marillat's key is to install the package
> >"debian-keyring". Then you can export the key directly from the Debian
> >keyring and feed it into apt-key:
> >
> >gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg
> >-a --export 07DC563D1F41B907 | sudo apt-key add -
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> Here is the result:
>
> ~$ sudo gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring
> /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg -a --export 07DC563D1F41B907 |
> sudo apt-key add -
> gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file
> `/home/user/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
> gpg: keyring `/usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg' created
> gpg: WARNING: nothing exported
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
>
> I am a newbie to Linux, so I really don't understand any of the above.
> Any ideas?

It looks like you did not install the "debian-keyring" package before
you ran the gpg command. gpg did not find the debian-keyring.gpg file
(which was supposed to come from the keyring package) and therefore
decided to create an empty keyring from scratch. Also, it is not
necessary to run the gpg command as root (and you should always try to
run as root as little as possible).

To fix this:

1) Delete this empty keyring again (as root):
   sudo rm /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg

2) Install the debian-keyring package (as root):
   sudo apt-get install debian-keyring

3) Export Marillat's key to a file (as user):
   gpg --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg -a --export 07DC563D1F41B907 > marillat.txt

4) Add the key from the file to the trusted keys of apt (as root):
   sudo apt-key add marillat.txt

5) Clean up the file (as user):
   rm marillat.txt

I have now split the process into more steps to make it easier to
understand. The original one-liner used a pipe "|" to feed the output of
the gpg-export command directly to the input of apt-key. This allows
very powerful combinations of commands, but it can be confusing if you
are new to Linux. Now we use a redirector ">" in step 3) to save the
output of the gpg-export command to a file and in step 4) we read that
file into apt-key.

Let us know if you run into any other difficulties.

--
Regards,
          Florian

That seems to have done the trick.