Reiserfs corruption and KDM login problems

I have a problem with my Sid system after an unplanned reboot due to a power
outage.  The reiserfsck fails to fix my /home (I have an LVM/raid1 setup) and
says I need to do it manually using reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, which also
fails, saying I need to use reiserfs --rebuild-sb, which also fails.   I
think I may need to migrate my /home to ext3 or something.

Anyway, after resuming the boot sequence, the system seems to come up normally
and I can log in without problems.  However, my wife's login is hosed.  KDM
displays a dialog saying:

" Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation"

It seems her ~/.kde directory has problems with corrupted file permissions.

debian:/home/janis/.kde# ls -l
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? Autostart
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? cache-debian
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? socket-debian
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? tmp-debian

Is there a quick fix I can do to get her into her email for today?  I tried
copying my own .kde into her home and changing the ownership, but KDM locked
up when I tried to log in as her.  Maybe I should create a new user account
for her and manually move data from her home dir? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

David Bruce