Re: upgrading trashed my font display

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:04:13 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Florian Kulzer on 27/11/06 16:50, wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:46:25 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >>I upgraded a whole set of packages in etch using synaptic.
> >>
> >>I answered several of the questions posed by the installation processses
> >>of some of the packages but I must have answered one of them very wrongly.
> >>
> >>Now my system-, firefox- and thunderbird text refuses to appear until I
> >>drag the mouse across it.
> >>
> >>I am not sure how I managed to trash the system and I don't see anything
> >>immediate to restore it.
> >>
> >>This is the same in KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment. Can someone tell me
> >>where to start?
> >
> >Does it look like the screenshot in this bugreport?
> >
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=377147
>

> Yes it looks like this but I am only just now affected by it and the bug
> report
> says it has been fixed in kdebase/4:3.5.4-1, 4:3.5.0-1, and yet I'm running
>
> kdebase  4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-1
>
> I tried the  $HOME/.qt/qtrc solution, but my settings are already set to
> what the fix is (enableXft=true, useXft=true)
>
> I also tried switching the anti-aliasing off and back on in KDE Control
> Centre, but the fonts are so damaged, I could only find the "use
> anti-aliased fonts" to change, but not the "hinting style full".

You can also go back to a terminal (e.g. CTRL + ALT + F1) and edit your
~/.fonts.conf directly.  Here is what mine looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

You should shut down X and log out (or log out from [xgk]dm) before you
change the file and then log in (and/or start X) again. If the fonts are
still mangled then you should check if the Xft settings were committed
to the X resource database:

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.rgba:       none

> What struck me as strange is that in thunderbird, I now no longer see the
> Chinese / Korean / Japanese characters. I only see the blocks. So maybe I
> have lost some font settings.
>
> Do this sound suspicious? Or part of a re-manifestation of the same bug?

My guess would be that this is another manifestation of the same bug,
but I do not know enough about the handling of CJK fonts to make a
definitive statement.

--
Regards,
          Florian