Re: ripping several hundred cds?

>>> as part of this project I want to rip all of our cds to mp3 or ogg

Of course.  Note that if you you can get the necessary disk space,
I recommmend you use flac rather than ogg or MP3.  This is much bigger (a
factor of 5 of so, I'd say) but has the advantage that it's lossless which
means that you will never again need to rip that CD to use another format.

>From my collection of flac-format albums, I then generate other collections
in other formats (typically 64Kb/s Ogg for my portable player, as well as
Ogg resampled at 48KHz for my router whose sound card doesn't accept
44.1KHz).

>>> (if someone has a suggestion ofr an ogg-friendly ipod-replacement?).

I've used Samsung players from their Yepp line with great success.

> The good thing about grip is that you can set it to eject the CD when
> ripping is finished, and do a CDDB lookup and start ripping as soon as a
> new one is inserted.

I use Grip as well and am satisfied with it.  I often need to tweak the tag
info here and there (mostly for multi-cd albums and for classical music),
but all in all it's pretty good.  I wish it had support for fetching CD
cover, tho.

        Stefan