Re: SunBlade150 (Sparc64) random system freeze

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:39:23PM +0530, Nishant Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Debian Testing on SunBlade150 with kernel 2.6.16. It used
> to run kernel 2.6.8 before the upgrade. Irrespective of the kernel
> version, I am facing system freezing randomly with no traces in any of
> the logs. Many times system keeps running for 40 days and many times
> it will just hang after booting up.
>
> I could reproduce the similar issues on two more excatly same
> machines. They were used to hang even during net-install itself when
> APT was installing packages. It has been more than 1 year I am facing
> the problem without any solutions.
>
> Earlier I was using KDE, but since when I have switched to IceWM, the
> frequency of freeze is reduced but it is still there.
>
> regards,
Hi Nishant,
if a machine reboots after 40 days, that is not something easily
diagnosed unless you can reproduce the behavior. Common things are cron
jobs, rtc problems, power supply, cold solder joints, dust inside as
examples. There also can be issues with certain kernlels that may be
fixed in newer versions. I do not use sun hardware, if maybe better to
join a debian sun/sparc list as I would not expect many folks here to
have sun/sparc specific knowledge. Did you say the other machines had
the exact same issues or some thing different? The description of them
is not as clear as the first one.
Cheers,
Kev
ps. I wonder how many windows boxes can last for 40 days, hehe.