Re: fairly ignorant jigdo question....

* Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com> [061123 18:40]:
> I notice that Etch currently has 21 CD images in the testing release,
> But Sarge comprises 15 CDs.
> I have the 15 CDs.  If I want to use jigdo to create the 21 CD images
> comprising Etch using the Sarge CDs to speed up and bootstrap the process,
> what is the best way to do this?

Jigdo.

> My understanding is that the jigdo can extract the individual files from an
> iso file (Sarge) and combine it with separate files downloaded from a
> repository and combine them to make the new (Etch) iso file......

Correct.

> But what happens if the same file on CD number 3 in Sarge is legitimately
> located on CD number 7 of Etch?
> What if the file on CD 15 in Sarge is located on CD 21 of Etch?

Should this happen, jigdo simply downloads the missing file.

If there were many such instances (and if you knew on which CDs the
files were located), then it would be better to interrupt jigdo, mount
the respective Sarge CDs, and let jigdo glean from them whatever files
are available.  But this is an unlikely scenario.

Look at the messages jigdo gives you after gleaning files from each
Sarge CD.  If jigdo finds many of the files needed for the Etch ISO
image, it likely is going to take less time to download the remaining
files than it is to mount other CDs in the hope of finding those which
are missing.

> Would I have to scan all 15 CD images and have them all copied up on my
> hard disk every time I make a new Etch iso file?

Hopefully you intend to create a complete set of Etch ISO images, in
which case the Sarge images are of no further use.

> Should I use CD-R or CD-RW disks?  I currently use CD-R ones.

CD-R is cheap and reasonably reliable.  (There are web sites which
deal with reliability.  Choose you vendor carefully.  Avoid Memorex.)

> P.S. could scan in Sarge CD images but then create the Etch DVD images with
> jigdo?

Using jidgo to create Etch DVD images likely is the best approach.
Updating is much easier if you have only three images to maintain,
rather than 15 or 21.

To originally create the Etch ISO images, you would need to mount each
CD in the set of 15 Sarge CD images three times -- but this is only in
the worst possible case; in practicality things are not nearly that bad.

Once you have created a set of Etch DVD ISO images, then you can burn
DVDs or else use the DVD ISO images to create CD ISO images.  (Note
that you have no need for DVDs, you never have to burn a DVD or even
have a DVD drive installed in your machine.)

To create a CD ISO image, simply mount the corresponding DVD image
with option "loop", and use jigdo to create CDs.  If you have a recent
DVD image, jigdo has no need to download files when creating the CD
ISO image.

RLH