Re: fairly ignorant jigdo question....

On Fri, 2006-24-11 at 00:37 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian folks,
>
> I tried to post a question about jigdo but it didn't seem to reach the site.
>   Here goes again.
>
> I notice that Etch currently has 21 CD images in the testing release,
>
> But Sarge comprises 15 CDs.
>
> I have the 15 CDs.  If I want to use jigdo to create the 21 CD images
> comprising Etch using the Sarge CDs to speed up and bootstrap the process,
> what is the best way to do this?

Get the .jigdo and .template for the image you want to get and run
jigdo-lite debian*.jigdo in the directory where you want the finished
image to be. You'll need plenty of free space there.

> My understanding is that the jigdo can extract the individual files from an
> iso file (Sarge) and combine it with separate files downloaded from a
> repository and combine them to make the new (Etch) iso file......

That's exactly it. You can have more than one source of files also. I
always point jigdo to my /var/cache/apt/archives directory so any files
there don't need to be downloaded again.

> But what happens if the same file on CD number 3 in Sarge is legitimately
> located on CD number 7 of Etch?

For each .jigdo file you'll need to scan all your cd's that may contain
those files, or copy them all the HD if you have the space and tell
jigdo to scan that directory.

> What if the file on CD 15 in Sarge is located on CD 21 of Etch?

You need to scan all cd's that you want to source files from. I switched
to using dvd's myself.. :)

> Would I have to scan all 15 CD images and have them all copied up on my hard
> disk every time I make a new Etch iso file?
>
> Should I use CD-R or CD-RW disks?  I currently use CD-R ones.

I always use RW myself, these things change so often...

> Regards.
>
> Michael Fothergill
>
> P.S. could scan in Sarge CD images but then create the Etch DVD images with
> jigdo?

Yes, there likely are some files on the sarge cd that will also be in
etch.