Re: Which firewall?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:43:37PM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:

> I'd call it (shorewall anyway) more of a wrapper than a GUI, but yes.
> The actual firewall is the kernel and iptables, but shorewall provides
> a way to configure that.
>
> I seem to recall a thread about this a month or two back, where the
> position was put forth that the KISS principle would argue for directly
> using iptables instead of one of the wrappers, since the poster claimed to
> be able to put up a working firewall in 5 or 6 lines vs 10's or 100's that
> may result from shorewall.  From my standpoint, I only need to mess with
> 5 or 6 lines (if that) in shorewall to get a working system, but would
> need to master a bunch of "fine" manuals to fully understand iptables,
> so kiSS still has me using shorewall.

The beauty of shorewall is that it is able to easily both simple and
complex setups.  Once you learn the configuration files (not that hard),
you can handle anything from a single PPP interface to more than a dozen
interfaces, each connected to different subnets, with IPSEC tunnels,
rate limiting, MAC filtering, and lots of other goodies which would be
extrememly difficult to accomplish in a by-hand iptables configuration.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez