Re: bad text rendering on Acer LCD

On 11/22/06, José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque@cox.net> wrote:
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an Acer 19" wide screen (AL1916W) which doesn't display text
> properly, even on the terminal. I run GNOME on unstable, and this
> problem shows in various resolutions I've tried, and the screen's own
> resolution of 1440x900 is not available on GNOM's menu. Attached is
> the output of of lshw.
When you say on the terminal do you mean the gnome-terminal or a virtual
console?

virtual console

 What doesn't display right about the text? Is it not smooth?

Yes... very visible but not consistent, as if distorted the display is
dirty. Dont't know how to explain it.

I don't think I can help with the hardware (other than suggesting to try
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'),

I tried that with various resolutions, but to the same effect.

but if the fonts are not "smooth" the
'Desktop->Preferences->Font' gnome menu has some "rendering" options
that might help.

I tried all 4 of them preferences, still didn't help.