Re: wireless pcmcia

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 21:12 +0000, Barney Rubble wrote:
> I've acquired a Netgear WG511T.
>
> Can anyone point me to a decent resource on how to set this up in debian
> (or any other card/distibution combination for that matter)?

Superb card.  I used to use that card with Sarge (when Sarge was still
in testing phase) on a P-III.  I only set it up once, so my memories are
sketchy, but if I recall correctly there was a package for madwifi.

These days you'll use madwifi-ng.

I see in etch there is madwifi-tools, madwifi-source and madwifi-doc - I
would start there.

Once you have the driver loaded, do an iwconfig with no options to see
what interfaces you have that has wireless capability.  Madwifi used to
make ath0 for atheros cards (WG511T is an atheros card), but I think in
madwifi-ng it is wlan0 - I'm not sure.

Hans