"... creates temporary files in an insecure manner." Tutorial?

I'm looking at:

   Subject: [SECURITY] [DSA 1216-1] New flexbackup packages fix denial of service

and I see, yet again:

   Eric Romang discovered that the flexbackup backup tool creates
   temporary files in an insecure manner, which allows denial of
   service through a symlink attack.

Thanks Eric, and no I'm not dissing flexbackup.  I'm also not an
expert.

I'm wondering whether there might be some "secure temporary file
checklist" which should be part of the
indoctrination<ESC><BackSpace>initiation phase for DDs?

Is something like:

   OUT_FILE=`/bin/mktemp -t chkrootkit.XXXXXXXXXX`

useful information?  Again, I'm no expert.  I'm trying to learn.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html