Re: apt-get -f install failing

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 01:12:37PM -0500, Paul van Wamelen wrote:
> aptitude is also build on dpkg so wouldn't I still get the same errors? Will
> aptitude know better what to do with them than apt-get?

Both aptitude and apt-get are based on dpkg, however, both tell dpkg to
do something to a particular package one at a time.  Yes, aptitude is
smarter about this than apt-get.  Also, with aptitude you can play
around with the packages in the UI until you are happy with what it
wants to do.

As far as these specific errors, I don't run KDE so can't help there.

Since you know that apt-get -f install wants to remove kdebluetooth
(which seems to have some interaction with kdelock-knoppix) and rserve,
what happens if you use dpkg -P kdebluetooth?  What happens if you
remove kdelock-knoppix (if you don't need it).

Personally, I would go to aptitude and see exactly what kdebluetooth is
and what needs it, and what it needs then remove it from there (if
I really don't want it).

Doug.