Re: apt-get -f install failing

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:22:53AM -0500, Paul van Wamelen wrote:
> I'm trying to install some packages but seem to have gotten the package
> manager thoroughly confused:
>
> When trying to install anything I get the "unmet dependencies" error with
> the suggestion to run "apt-get -f install". Doing that I get the following
> two errors:
>
> Removing kdebluetooth ...
> dpkg-divert: mismatch on divert-to
>  when removing `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
> /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock_nobt by kdebluetooth'
>  found `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock.orig
> by kdelock-knoppix'
> dpkg: error processing kdebluetooth (--remove):
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
> Removing rserve ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/rserve.postrm: line 15: R: command not found
> dpkg: error processing rserve (--remove):
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
>
> Can someone please suggest the next thing to try?

Have you every used a different package manager?

I would suggest that use switch to aptitude and stick with it. You may
use other managers to search or display if you wish, but use one and
only one to install or remove.  If you mix managers, they will not
handle dependancies the same and will fight.

Aptitude on the command line is almost a drop-in replacement for
apt-get.  Better still, it has a test UI interactive (just run aptitude
with no arguments) that lets you see what you're doing.

When you first run aptitude, go down the list of installed packages and
mark everything that you don't specifically want installed as
automatically installed so that aptitude will manage them for you.

You may also find broken packages (packages with unmet dependancies)
which you can fix manually from within the UI.  You can tell aptitude
(via menu config) to automatically install recommended packages but I
don't recommend this.  When you firt tell it to go, it presents a list
of what it wants to do, and includes a list of recommended packages from
which you can choose.

You can basically get everything sorted out before telling aptitude to
go ahead and do stuff.

Doug.