Re: 64 bit downloading and kernel upgrade problem

On Mon November 20 2006 05:12, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> Hi all,
> Few months back, i first started fiddling around with linux and debian.
> Now that i am a little more experienced and have got some free time, i
> decided to make my system more efficient. Earlier i had installed a lot of
> unnecessary things (whole of gnome and kde etc) and it was not working at
> full efficiency. My motherboard is intel915 with 3.4G processor and 1G

Really!? I have an amd athlon64 running at 1.8 Ghz with 512M ram and I find
gnome and kde run well. I also have a full gnome/kde install and I run them
to their fullest with no problem.

Have no fear, with that box you have there you can load up about anything you
like I'm sure.

> RAM. So initially i did a clean install by downloading minimum bootable
> i386 stable version from net, copying it on a cd and installing it. I only
> loaded x-window system and it was quite fast. Now since hyperthreading is
> allowed on my system, i was told ia64 debian version should work and also
> give better performance, so i downloaded that from the same site. However
> when i copy this on a cd and try to boot, it says:
>
> Reboot and select proper boot device
> or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device
>
> This happened for both netinst image and business card image. Any ideas
> why this would be happening? I would like to upgrade to 64 bit if
> possible. (I downloaded both i386 and ia64 images from the site:
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
> but i386 version works, ia64 doesn't)
>
> So i went back to i386 and decided to upgrad my kernel because 'dmesg'
> always warned that 'memory usage was not optimal, only 896M would be used,
> upgrade kernel.' I used 'apt-get install' to install appropriate kernel
> version 2.6.x (earlier was 2.4.x) but when i try to boot using this
> version, i get 'kernel panic' message...also it shows some scsi disk
> errors, but i have no scsi disks. The entries in /boot/grub/menu.1st seem
> fine (i.e. it shows /dev/hda1 for root filesystem which is what i have).
> Is there anything else i need to do? I did try some things suggested
> online but didn't work.
>
> So basically i need guidance on two things:
> 1> Can i use 64 bit version on my machine? would that improve performance?

Yes, as long as it is a 64bit cpu. What does 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' say? The
64bit system runs just like the 32bit one does, it is the way of the future
(until the 128bit system that is!). You can use (a lot) more than 4G ram with
a 64bit system.

> 2> How to upgrade kernel?

As Michael said the device names change from a 2.4 -> 2.6 kernel, a long with
a few other things like that. I would follow what he said and change your
fstab accordingly and see how it goes. My system runs sarge amd64 nicely but
some folks have problems with hardware (sata), you may need to upgrade to
etch to get hardware support if sarge won't go.