How many sessions max. on a DVD-R?

Hello,

I'm currently using DVD-Rs as backup mediums -- there is one more or less permanently in my burner, on which I burn an incremental backup (using tar --listed-incremental) of my daily work. That makes one session per day. On my current disc I'm now at about thirty sessions and still going strong because my files aren't so big; a daily backup runs to about 4MB (the level 0 backup in the first session is 2.5GB though). So, theoretically, I could have hundreds of sessions piling up on a single DVD-ROM.

Of course what I don't want to happen is that one day my disk crashes for good, and when trying to restore my backups I find out that, sadly, the DVD drive finds only my first 200 sessions out of 400... of course a few differential backups should be there as well in order to speed up a potential restore.

Is there any number of sessions that I can rely on? I have already found out that if a session starts beyond a certain point on a ATAPI DVD-ROM the driver barfs; I've changed to ide-scsi and don't have that problem any more.

Opinions, Knowledge, anyone?

I'm aware that my "method" isn't the best of all, especially in case of fire or theft, but better than nothing.

--Daniel