Re: xmms-singit, japanese lyrics

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:09:08PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> I tried to install xmms-singit, but how do you actually start it?
> This vital information seems to be missing from the README file. I
> could not manage it so far.

I thought there would be a shortcut, but haven't found it. What I do is to
go to "Visualization plugins" in xmms (Ctrl-V), then enable the xmms-singit
plugin, and then use the "Configure" button to open its configuration
dialog. Then you go to "Dialogs" tab, then "Show lyrics editor...", and then
you can type, load, edit lyrics, edit time tags, etc. Once you have a song
with time tags, and if it is in the directory xmms-singit expects (which you
can configure), next time, when xmms is about to play that song, it will
open the "karaoke displayer" and will follow the song. I also think this
"explanation for first time users" is missing from the documentation. I took
me a bit of time to figure out.

> However, I do know that kinput2 is
> obsolete, and should basically not be used for inputting Japanese.
> Better to use uim/anthy or scim/anthy. What is your locale?
> Perhaps you should consider changing to a UTF-8 locale
> (http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu).

Thanks for the tip. I always used kinput2 (until last month in fact, when I
did the last major upgrade to my sid laptop) without problem. I don't have
UTF-8 locales installed, maybe I should try. It would be so cool to sing
along Japanese lyrics :-)

Victor