strange booting issues after hd-crash

Hi everybody,
OK, that's how everything started: I re-installed GRUB, but i happend to type "/dev/hda1" instead of "/dev/hda". Very
common mistake, killed the boot sector of my Win2K partition. So i tried to rescue it with my Windows-CD which ended up
by screwing the whole MBR and losing the partition table. (New rule: If you make one error because of being tired, wait
'til the other day to fix it, unless you want to produce an even grater mess.)
But there's still "gpart", thank god (or rather thank the deveolpers), which arrived to guess my old partition table
and helped me to rescue my linux and data. (Windows is lost, but you gotta reinstall that about every half a year, anyway)

Now since then, my Etch is starting to have some strange issues at boot time. After the line "Setting up ICE socket
directory (...)" it wants the root passwort ("for maintenance" - what am i expected to maintain?). Next thing is
"Starting MTA:" where it takes a long, long time and often hangs completely. (I tried "dpkg-reconfigure exim4" but it
didn't help). And once, after all that, it even wouldn't start X (but this happend only once)

The whole thing being happening on a irregular base is causing me some headache, because (to me) it smells a bit like
(physical?) harddisk-troubles. Is it possible that the Linux-live-CD, whitch i booted to run gpart, used some space of
my HD as swap and overwrote important data? But fsck reports no errors...
Anybody ever experienced something like that?
(Sorry for my english)