Re: vmware on debian etch

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
On Friday 17 November 2006 13:44, piter wrote:

H.S. wrote:

er ... I am not sure if I should be asking this in this forum since
vmware is not open source.

I wanted to play around with vmware server and installed it on my etch
system in /usr/local.

I also intalled vmware-mui in /usr/local as well.

When I browse to localhost:8333, I get an empty page, only the footer
text is being displayed.

The installation seemed to have gone alright and the modules were also
built without any complaints. I am not sure where the problem could. I
installed vmware from its tgz sources.

If somebody has been successful in installing vmware in Debian Etch, I
would love to know how you did it.

thanks,
->HS

Well, since nobody has really bothered to answer your question, I'll try.

What footer text is being displayed? Are you accessing the URL as https, not http? If you go to https://locahost:8333/ you should be redirected to https://locahost:8333/vmware/en/ Are you? What browser are you using? Konqueror didn't work for me. Firefox worked great.

I do get the redirected url you mention above (ending with en). But all I get is a gray text that seems to be a footer (with the copyright notice etc.). I did this on Mozilla and Firefox, both. And yes, I was trying the https url.

I have read the other replied, and I just now uninstalled vmware. I am going to try the rpm now and I'll see if that works.

Just for completeness, here is the text I get (in light gray near the top of the page, there is nothing above this text, apparently the page is empty and only this text is being displayed):

© 1998-2006 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.
Protected by one or more of U.S. Patent Nos. 6,397,242, 6,496,847, 6,704,925, 6,711,672, 6,725,289, 6,735,601, 6,785,886, 6,789,156, 6,795,966, 6,880,022 6,961,941, 6,961,806 and 6,944,699; patents pending. VMware, the VMware "boxes" logo and design, Virtual SMP and VMotion are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.

thanks,
->HS

That's all I can offer for now...did anything I say help?