Re: Kernel error: DMA write timed out

On 2006-11-17, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Mertens Bram <bram-mertens@linux.be> wrote:
> >Perhaps you can test this as well?
>
> I don't have printer or other attached via  parport or USB. This
> message has repeated while 10 seconds in syslog. I have rebooted more
> times my machine, but it do not change.

So the lpr package is not installed on your system?

If not the only other thing I can recommend is shutting down all
services on your system one by one untill the message flood stops.
(tip: run tail -f /var/log/syslog in one terminal and stop the
services from another terminal.)

That way you can at least track down the culprit.

Just in case: stopping services can be done by executing (as root) the
scripts in /etc/init.d/ with the parameter "stop".  E.g. to stop the
lp daemon that caused the problem on my box I used:
# ps -ef | grep lp # to see if the service is running
# /etc/init.d/lpr stop

The "catch" is that the daemon is (was) called lpd while the init
script was named after the package: lpr.

HTH

Bram

--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.17-2-686    i686    1024MB RAM #