Re: OpenSSL version 0.9.7e ?!

On Thursday, 16.11.2006 at 21:50 +0100, Stephan Seitz wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 08:25:00PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> >to which the machine is put.  Kernel bugs are normally only
> >exploitable by local users; SSL bugs are most likely to be
> >exploitable remotely.  If
>
> Only partly true, I think. If you have a server application like
> apache, which has a bug giving you a shell, you can then use the local
> exploit to become root. So you should think a little ahead, that’s
> safer. ;-)

Yes, that's why I said that this was only 'generally' true.  The above
compromise relies on an Apache (remote) exploit as well as any
subsequent local kernel exploit.

Anyway, as a general rule: keep your systems security-patched, and use
an OS which allows you to do this without introducing new/different
functionality :-)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!