Re: OpenSSL version 0.9.7e ?!

On Thursday, 16.11.2006 at 12:08 -0800, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

> > I had a strong *shrug* when i noticed that my stable system
> > (originally woody, upgraded to sarge without kernel change) still
> > had
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you are running Debian-provided kernels, you *really* should
> upgrade to a kernel from Sarge.  The kernels from Woody have not been
> security-supported for a LONG time, and there have been quite a few
> serious security issues discovered in the kernel since then.  This is
> potentially a much bigger deal than the OpenSSL issues you are
> concerned about.

I'm not sure that's *necessarily* true: after all, it depends on the use
to which the machine is put.  Kernel bugs are normally only exploitable
by local users; SSL bugs are most likely to be exploitable remotely.  If
you have no local users other than yourself, but run many
publically-accessible services, then SSL bugs are much more important!

(I'm not saying my example above is true in every single case, but I
think it's true on the whole.)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!