xscreensaver and DPMS

Hello there,

has anyone experienced a seemingly weird behaviour with xscreensaver
and the DPMS functions X provides?
Well, I had configured xscreensaver to blank/lock the screen, then turn
the backlight off (it's an LCD). It was working, but operates rather
peculiarly lately:

It goes like this: I leave the computer on, then come back and find
that the backlight is on, even though the screen is blank and locked.

"xset q" shows that DPMS is enabled, and the timeouts are the ones I
inserted in xscreensaver's preferences. I reduce the timeouts to check
if works: it does. I even tried checking whether the timeouts in
xorg.conf might be messing it up - I read something about a few screens
being 'turned on' when xorg decides to shut the backlight out. It all
works properly. Even after restarting GDM or, occasionally, X, it
continues working.

Then, all of a sudden - apparently not connected to reboot or shutdown
- I come home to find the backlight on again...

Goblins in the computer, or am I missing something?

Renato