Acquire::Retries in apt.conf

Hi,

When I run apt-get update on my sarge installation, I sometimes get
"connection reset by peer" on a file from security.debian.org.
Sometimes I have to retry "apt-get update" about 20 times before all the
repository lists are in and I can upgrade.

There is an option in APT called APT::Acquire::Retries, which can be set
to the number of times APT should try downloading a file if downloading
failed. But I can't get this to work.

Is this option supposed to work for apt-get update or maybe only for
apt-get upgrade ?
Does this work in sarge ?
Does anyone have a working setup that uses this option ?

kind regards,
-- Steven