Re: Cannot change default browser

* Kelly Clowers (kelly.clowers@gmail.com) wrote:

> You could just install kcontrol; it looks like it only depends on a couple
> of things that kopete doesn't.

I tried this, but it is not working.  It installed okay, and opens,
but the left hand pane, where one would expect to see the menus and
choices, is blank.

> Otherwise, try opening ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
> There should be an entry like this:
> [General]
> BrowserApplication=!/usr/bin/epiphany
>
> Change that to firefox and hopefully you will be ready to go.
> I have not tried this, and I am not responsible if your monitor explodes.

I opened this file, but there was no such entry in it as
BrowserApplication or anything labelled [General].  So, I added them
just in case that may work.  However, I still always get epiphany.
Though, on the up side, my monitor did not explode.

Perhaps this is hard encoded into Kopete these days.  It clearly
doesn't use anything in the system to decide this.

Many thanks for the suggestions,

Patrick