Re: cron-apt with no mta

Rob Bochan writes:
> It can also store and use SMTP settings (i.e. ISP's SMTP server) if no
> MTA is installed

Those "settings" are the information needed by reportbug's internal MTA to
connect to the ISP's server via SMTP.

I wrote:
> What's with this horror of MTAs?

> Besides the config and security hassles of it, the machine's a P2-300
> with 64 meg ram. The GUI bogs it down enough, I can't imagine running an
> MTA on it as well.

Even a full-fledged MTA such as Exim is tiny compared to KDE or Gnome (or
even just X).  The resources an MTA uses are proportional to the load.
Handling only local mail it would put negligible load on your machine.
--
John Hasler