2.6.17-2 kernel and lirc not working

I have upgraded from an older 2.6 kernel (needed for LVM) and now cannot get
lirc working.

I got the module compiled but when I try and load it with modprobe lirc_serial
I get:
  WARNING: Error inserting lirc_dev
(/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-k7/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or
unknown parameter (see dmesg)
  FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial
(/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-k7/misc/lirc_serial.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or
unknown parameter (see dmesg)
dmesg has:
  lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_add
  lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_destroy
  lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_remove
  lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_create
  lirc_serial: Unknown symbol verify_area
  lirc_serial: Unknown symbol lirc_unregister_plugin
  lirc_serial: Unknown symbol lirc_register_plugin

I tried searching but couldn't find a resolution, though it is obvious this is
not just a Debian package issue...

I am using lirc (and lirc-modules-source) 0.8.0-9 on etch.

Anton