Re: how to find which package a binary belongs to

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 06:47:41AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if this all over the place, but I'd like to know how check which
> package a binary file belongs to, without using dwww-quickfind (which
> belongs to dwww).
>
> thanks...

if you have a file /bin/ls on your system and you want to know what
package it come from:
'dpkg -S /bin/ls'
if you want to know what packages in Debian has 'ghostscript' in its
name or path, including packages not installed, then you can use
'apt-file search  ghostscript '.
cheers,
Kev