how to configure network?

Hi,

I've installed Debian with a 3-month-old network installer on expert
mode. Reason for this is that it allows for disabling the root
password, and therefore assigns the initial user as a sudoer. But then
it does not autoconfigure the network which results in stuff like xine
and dwww not working. I don't have network access on that particular
machine, that's why I left the settings out, but I guess there should
be some configuration anyways. Could someone guide me on how I can
solve my problem without resorting to a fresh install.

thanks...