Re: Trouble browsing secure web sites (scotiaonline.com)

On Sun November 12 2006 19:19, Michael Waters wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:38 -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:

> > > I've installed Etch amd64 and used both firefox and galeon in https
> > > with no difficulties.  However, I haven't tried scotia's website.  That
> > > computer is off right now or I would try it.
> >
> > That's what I have too. I've tried every browser at one time or another
> > and so far it just doesn't go.
> >
> > > Can you access any other https sites?  I know that I can access ebay,
> > > try that.  If you don't have an account, click register.  It will give
> > > you a form in https.  If you get the form, then it works.
> >
> > I Only use a couple like gmail and ebay and I've never had a problem.
> >
> > > Try running the bowser from an xterm (or rxvt) and see if your browser
> > > issues any error messages.
> >
> > I just ran konqueror from konsole and saw no errors. It did load up the
> > first page OK but when I tried to look at my account details it doesn't
> > work again. I can see my modem lights flash so something is happening but
> > nothing shows in my browser window.
>
> Have you tried spoofing the user-agent as IE in Konqueror?  In konq
> settings -> Browser Identification, it gives you choices of fake IDs
> including ones for IE.  I think there's an extension for firefox that
> does the same thing.  Have you tried allowing all popups from the site?
> Maybe it's trying to open a new window when you login.

I did change the user agent an hour or two ago to IE6 & Windows/XP just to see
and it didn't make a difference.

The site doesn't use pop-ups either. I just loaded the site with firefox and
after a few minutes of being patient as I can and reloading the page multiple
times I did get a look at my account details page. I might be able to go
further if I was patient enough. I hate to think what could happen if I am
paying bills and reloading the page multiple times.

> If you can't get it to work, I guess you could run IE in qemu or
> vmware...  and complain to your bank or switch banks. :)

I have thought of all the above. The answer may be there. :)