Re: Cupsys, using gimpprint driver instead of gutenprint

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 17:13:03 -0500, T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new cupsys in Etch does not work for me, while the old cupsys in Sarge
> works perfectly. After switching to Etch, I've had 3 attempts trying to make
> it works, but failed 3 times. (My latest attempt and problem logged at:
> http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s3095+gcups.bugs+v3104+T0 )
>
> Suddenly it occurs to me that in Sarge, I am using gimpprint driver, while
> now I'm trying the gutenprint driver, and I do know that people are not
> using the gutenprint, to avoid the trouble, while looking for answer to my
> problems.
>
> Luckily the gimpprint driver set is still in Etch:
>
>  cupsys-driver-gimpprint - printer drivers for CUPS
>  foomatic-db-gimp-print - linuxprinting.org printer support - database for Gimp-Print printer drivers
>  gimp-print - print plugin for the GIMP
>  gimpprint-doc - Users' Guide for Gimp-Print and CUPS
>  gimpprint-locales - Locale data files for Gimp-Print
>  libgimpprint1 - The Gimp-Print printer driver library
>
> So I removed all foomatic/cupsys related package and re-install the 4th
> time. But to my surprise, I see no gimpprint driver, but only the gutenprint
> driver that didn't work for me. So here is my question,
>
> For cupsys in Etch, is it possible to use gimpprint driver instead of
> gutenprint?

The current cupsys-driver-gimpprint package in Etch is just an empty
transitional package to ensure an automatic upgrade to the gutenprint
system. If you need a fully functional gimpprint then you have to find
older packages, maybe on snapshot.debian.net. I am not sure if it is
easily possible to use the Sarge cupsys packages on Etch.

--
Regards,
          Florian