Re: Kernel compile the old way

On Saturday 11 November 2006 00:56, Ed wrote:
> I went to compile a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, and so read the
> directions at the Debian site.  They seem to me to be needlessly
> complicated.  Is there something in Debian which would prevent me from
> compiling a kernel the good old fashioned way --
>
> make menuconfig
> make && make modules_install
> cp bzImage and System.map to /boot
> edit the grub menu
>
> -- and skip the initrd whatever?  And, if so, where does Debian load the
> modules from, so I can edit that too?  It's not /etc/modules - only a
> few there.
>
> Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

AFAIK modprobe can load modules only if they are compiled that way in the
kernel. [M] indicates that the particular driver is compiled in as a module.

The debian patched kernels are pretty good. I won't use a Vanilla source
unless there's any specific need to do that.

Also, I am not sure..but SID might be having the latest stable kernel in its
repositories.
The simplest way to install a debian-patched kernel is:
root@computer#apt-get install kernel-image-<version>

This procedure simply installs the kernel, without having to run the make
menuconfig thing et al. Moreover it also updates the /boot/grub/menu.lst file
automatically. Truly advantageous you see.. :)

--
Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!