Re: boot problem

On (10/11/06 10:35), Roelof Wobben wrote:
> I have installed Debian Sarge on the second hard disk of my computer.
> Because lilo couldn't see windows , which is installed on the first disk, I
> couldn't start Windows.
> So i did a mbr repair of the mbr.
>
> But now i don't know how to het into Debian to change lilo so i can work
> with them together.
>
> My harddisk looks like this :
>
> 1e disk : windows
> 2e disk : My documents and Debian.
>
> My question is :
> How can i come back in Debian so i can work with it.

You'll need a live CD with grub on it; Debian From Scratch is quite good
for this sort of thing:

http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/

It will enable you to boot from the CD and if you press 'c' at the grub
menu you get into the first stage of grub.

you then need to pass something like:

> root (hd1,x-1) //x is the debian partition so if it's on hdb6 this
				parameter should be hd1,5

> kernel /vmlinux root=/dev/hdbx //x = the partition where your debian
							 system is

> initrd /initrd.img

> boot

If all goes well it should boot you into your debian system.  Once in
there, do as root or sudo:

# grub-install /dev/hda

which should pick up the windows system and install grub on the MBR

You can then reboot (without the live CD) and you should be presented
with a grub menu giving you the choice of Windows or Debian.

Getting one's head around grub is a bit of a challenge but well worth
the effort:
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_1.html

Regards

Clive