Re: schroot help needed

On (10/11/06 09:53), Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> could anybody please show me how to setup schroot so, that it
> automatically bindmounts the /dev, /tmp and /home directories inside the
> chroot when it is entered? until now i was using permanent bind mount in
> my fstab. however, having the directories bindmounted only when the
> chroot is used seems to be a better idea. this should be possible in
> schroot, but i can't figure out how to set it up. probably
> schroot/exec.d/10mount needs to be somehow modified (or maybe some other
> file) but i don't know how. manpage is not of particular help for me in
> this respect :(

I've only done this setting up a chroot to run 32bit applications on a
64bit system but it should be equally applicable to your situation.
>From the amd64 howto:

http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
 To run an application inside the chroot you will need some parts of
 your 64bit system tree inside the chroot. This can be achieved with a
 bind mount. In this example we will bind /tmp to the chroot for the X11
 sockets which are in /tmp, and bind /home to access the home
 directories from within the chroot. You may also want to mount the
 /dev, /proc and /sys filesystems within the chroot. Edit your fstab and
 add the required paths:

 # sid32 chroot
 /home   /var/chroot/sid-ia32/home none    bind      0       0
 /tmp    /var/chroot/sid-ia32/tmp  none    bind      0       0
 /dev    /var/chroot/sid-ia32/dev  none    bind      0       0
 /proc   /var/chroot/sid-ia32/proc none    bind      0       0

 Then mount them:

 mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/home
 mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/tmp
 mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/dev
 mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/proc

 You will also need to set up the relevant users in the chroot. Copy
 your /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group files to the chroot, or
 add the users manually to the passwd/shadow of your chroot. It is also
 possible to hard link the files when they are on the same partition.
 Just make sure the user exists also in the chroot. To avoid locale
 problems you might also want to set up /etc/environment.

 WARNING! Remember that if you bind your home directory and delete your
 chroot, all your personal data will be lost. So do not forget to umount
 your home before eventually erasing a chroot.

 Please note that if you are using schroot there are chances you can
 avoid binding directories and copying or hard linking files. Check
 schroot manpage and modify /etc/schroot/setup.d/10mount to match your
 needs.

HTH

Regards

Clive