Re: IBM eServer x series 206 RH-to-Debian migration

On Thursday 09 November 2006 12:34, Lee Whalen wrote:
>    Greetings all, long-time Debian user, first-time poster here.  So,
> I've got a predicament.  I need to get Debian Etch on a box that is
> already an in-production HeadRat Enterprise server (RHEL 3.0 Typhoon 6),
> running a few production apps (Apache with a handful of VHosts, postfix,
> a ticketing system we use called GForge and it's attendant Postgres
> database, and a few NFS mounts).  The company I work for no longer wants
> to pay the HeadRat extortion fee just to be able to download package
> updates and whatnot, so I am tasked with migrating all of our HeadRat
> servers over to Debian.

<snip>

>    For those of you who managed to read this far (go YOU!) does that
> sound feasible, or am I doing far, far too much work?
>
> Many thanks for your assistance!
> --Lee

Lee,

You might want to take a look at:

http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall

for doing a chroot install.  I have never done this, but it might be a useful
method for getting Debian installed with minimal interruption to your current
system.

John Schmidt