Re: Continuing internet oddities

* rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net) wrote:

> Perhaps the router is taking care of PPPoE?  SWBell (which I
> previously used as ISP) typically uses PPPoE.

I don't believe so.  I had initially connected the modem directly to
the computer, this was when I first switched to DSL, and I had not
installed the PPPoE stuff.  Everything I have seen on the screen at
boot and such has always been DHCPREQUEST... and so on.  Though,
honestly, I cannot swear to anything at this point. :-)

> Last week, my present ISP (oplink.net) sent out an announcement and
> even telephoned clients, asking those who have a Linksys router to
> contact Linksys for a firmware upgrade.
>
> Oplink does not use PPPoE, but does use DHCP.  Oplink told me that
> they were trying to correct a problem which sounds very much like the
> one which you are experiencing.

Maybe that could be my trouble, but why do you suppose I would not
have the same problem with the other computer using that same router?
Everything seems to have started with an upgrade on this computer
which is why I had assumed the problem was located there.  Perhaps
that is a bad assumption.

> But if you happen to have an old machine and a pair of ethernet cards,
> it can provide a "sanity check" with the expenditure of only an hour,
> even if you plan to continue using the Linksys router.  Note that
> SmoothWall is a router as well as a firewall.

And if I am having router troubles I may very well end up trying
this.  I have little experience with Smoothwall but the documentation
certainly seems thorough.

Many thanks,

Patrick