Re: No xterm (or equivalents) immediately accessible in default etch

Hi John,

Am 2006-10-24 12:05:29, schrieb John C:

> You're absolutely correct. The xterm should be "IN MY FACE" every
> time I log on. (it does on my box) Unfortunately the linux
> community is sliding down the "commercially" driven "one desktop
> fits all" slope, so that once all the desktops are basically the
> same, commercial developers will be able to write/sell programs
> that will play on all linux distros.

In theorie!

> What I don't understand is why the FSF and Debian are both going
> down this same garden path.

Ack!

> Is the goal to have linux users become just as brain dead as
> windows users?

It seems!

> I've been running debian since "bo" and the days of Captain
> blue-eye, but it's becoming harder every day to keep a system
> running without using either Gnome or KDE ...

I run Debian since Slink and since the beginning fvwm as my WindowManager.
I am realy individuel and my fvwm-config was growing over the time...

> IMHO they both suck.

I agree!

> One of the greatest features of linux *was* that each individuals
> desktop was as different as that individual. The box looked,
> operated, and sounded the way that user wanted it too.

FullACK!

> Now it seems that individuality is out-of-style and every useful
> tool/program that is not part of gnome/kde is being pushed
> out-of-the-way or becoming "depreciated".

This is, why I have created a very huge Archive of debian since end
of 1999.  My mirror is times bigger then <archive.debian.net>.

> I'm beginning to hate that word.

If I think back to 1999 it was realy great (but lacking in apps)
Now most apps are there but only availlable for KDE the (Killer
Dinosaurus Environement) of the Gnome (No, - I do not like Gnomes)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)