Re: window maker upgrade

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:11:52PM EST, Matthew Krauss wrote:
> Mark Olsen wrote:

[..]

> I'll be tarring my GNUStep directory, maybe that will give me an easy fix.

Since your wmaker custom settings are in ~/GNUStep/Defaults -- at
least on my laptop that's where they are ..  you should be fine.

I always keep a recent backup of these files handy .. I've lost their
contents a couple of times even though I had not upgraded anything (!)
.. just ran into some unrelated system problem that caused wmaker to
exit abruptly ..

This annoying behavior may be due to the fact that wmaker _appears_ to
rewrite these files when you exit your session ..  So if anything goes
wrong at that point .. you may end up with empty or partially rewritten
files.

That at least is what _I_ experienced.

But as long as you have a copy of the files in ~/GNUStep/Defaults/ you
shouldn't have any problems restoring your custom setup.

Note, that this is the only problem I have ever had with wmaker in some
4/5 years .. Otherwise it's rock solid.

Thanks

Chris.