Re: "processor" acpi module permanently throttles processor

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:43 -0500, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 11/06/2006 03:30 PM, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > An old laptop I have supports ACPI, but when I use ACPI, the processor
> > becomes very slow.  Without ACPI enabled, it runs fine.
>
> I'm no expert at all, but you have no responses yet...  So, any hints in
> dmesg?  On my PIII 500 mhz sarge box, I get this:
>
> ACPI disabled because your bios is from 1999 and too old
> You can enable it with acpi=force

With no kernel parameters, ACPI runs without errors, although I haven't
checked dmesg.

> And sure enough, it doesn't like to run with acpi=force, so I've left it
> alone.
>
> Perhaps you could remove acpi and load apm instead?

When ACPI is enabled, I get a message saying that ACPI is being used
instead of APM.  When ACPI is disabled, APM is used.

The only reason I would like to use ACPI is so the system will power off
on a shutdown -h instead of just halting.