Re: etc partially deleted

I agree with Jochen, it would take less time to reinstall the hole OS, but DONT format the /home partition, just leave it unchanged that way you can reinstall the OS and keep your /home data intact.

Another method would be to google for some recovery software depending on the filesystem you are actually using in your "/" partition, wich unless you have change it when you made the installation should be ext3 or ext2. But  this is only if you really have lost valuable data.

I know this might sound stupid for the time beeing, but you should backup your configs.

Good luck with that.

Javier