Re: Non english filesnames and unicode, more

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 22:34:19 -0500
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:11:25PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> > Konsole, set to UTF8, behaves just like using 1255, saves the file indeed
> > with a UTF8 name encoding. Attempting to ls the file fails--worked in 1255
> >
> > Going to Konqueror, the file name shows in english characters and symbols
> > showing its UTF8 bytes. Setting konqueror to UTF8 does not display the file
> > name correctly, just as using 1255 did not. Dialog boxes involving the file
> > name, i.e. to delete it, also show raw bytes.
> >
> > Should I file these bugs with KDE?
> >

> Are these bugs in the various terminal emulators, or in ls?  What
> happens if you redirect ls output to a file and look at it in hex?  (I
> wish ls would *not* look whether its output is a reminal and choose
> output format for this test, but it still might give us a clue.)

The output of ls on screen (urxvt), shows question marks on screen (?????),
ls | more shows jiberish (úøâéì), ls | less show key codes
(<FA><F8><E2><E9><EC> 1 <E1><E0><EC><E2><E1><F8><E4>)
nothing gives me the actual hebrew characters.

I also tried playing with the lang variable but it doesn't help.