Re: crazy screen

On 06-11-2006, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
> Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just launch a diagnose software provided by Dell:
>> the video memory seems corrupted (error in writting or reading).
>>
>> What may I do ?
>>
>> Jerome
>>
>> Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> thanks for your answer:
>>> unfortunately I am now far away from the external screen
>>> (this happened during a workshop).
>>>
>>> I have indeed a switch button on my Dell Inspiron 8200 (fn + F8):
>>> I used it to get the image on the external screen, but I forget
>>> to switch back, hence the troubles I guess.
>>>
>>> Is there a (simple) way to reset the settings ?

One way is to run "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg".

Another solution, is to find any CRT or LCD that can fit to your
external screen laptop port. I suggest using a CRT, which has more
tolerance regarding bad settings. Then you can try to reset things.

FYI, i am NOT sure this will fix anything. Maye your problem is of
another kind.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall