"processor" acpi module permanently throttles processor

An old laptop I have supports ACPI, but when I use ACPI, the processor
becomes very slow.  Without ACPI enabled, it runs fine.

With ACPI on, /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling (I think that's
right) shows 8 states, with the highest one active.  The highest one
is not 100% though, rather 80% or so.  The way it runs, it seems more
like 20%; just reading man pages on a console is annoying.

It seems like this slowness does not start until the "processor"
module is loaded.  Is there some way to blacklist the processor
module?  I think I need to do it in the initrd somehow, because the
processor module is loaded before any filesystems are mounted.

I know very little about initrd stuff, but what I would like is to
find some config file that affects the way the initrd is built that
would allow me to blacklist the "processor" module during boot, so I
could go ahead and use ACPI.

Other comments welcome; thanks.
Running Etch on i386; processor speed is 366Mhz.  I've looked for BIOS
updates (PhoenixBIOS) unsuccessfully.