Re: what's up with all the attitude

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 11:40:27PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:57:16PM -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
> > I've recently started using this list.  You might say that I've
> > recently joined the debian community.  Its great.  Very intelligent
> > and helpful.  But what's with all the attitude people flash around
> > here.  Have the threads I read end up in some petty bickering.
> >
> Oftentimes, the discussions on this list concern highly subjective
> matters.  For instance, which is the best databse to use, the best text
> editor, the best desktop environment, the best mail client and so on.
> Other times, the discussions turn political or religious (just look at
> some of the longest threads on this list).
>
> Those sorts of discussions tend to involve at least a small element of
> personal beliefs.  This can come out as attitude and create conflict.
> I am of the opinion that these sorts of discussions have a net benefit,
> even if the occasional harsh word is exchanged.

just as any kind of "meeting" (staff meeting, post-work cocktails,
family reunion, christmas @ grandma's etc) has its moments of strife
and dissent, so it is with a community like Debian. We all (I) accept
it as a natural part of life and recognise it as a sign of vigor in
the community. So long as the bickering continues at a low level I
figure everything is okay. When the arguing dies, so will the
community as a whole. I guess.