Re: what's up with all the attitude

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 19:57 -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
> I've recently started using this list.  You might say that I've
> recently joined the debian community.  Its great.  Very intelligent
> and helpful.  But what's with all the attitude people flash around
> here.  Have the threads I read end up in some petty bickering.

First off, if you'll notice how much traffic is on Debian-User. Debian
is ALL VOLUNTEER. There is no "commercial" version underlying the
support infrastructure.

Some of us are subscribed to many e-mail lists for Debian, not just
Debian User. I for one also have e-mail subscriptions to many other
e-mail lists outside of Debian. Setting this background... comes the
next paragraph

It is not that we have an attitude, just that better than 90% of the
questions asked on Debian-User have been asked before and have solutions
already in the archive. Nearly everyone asking questions says "I search
the archives" or "I've Googled for this". This then also leads us to be
suspicious as to the sincereity, nee laziness. You might get a ton of
"Read The Fine Manual" with pointers to the proper location. But
understand, it is not to dis you.

Couple of lists I am on, the matter of factly answers are all RTFM with
exact locations and nothing else.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is