Re: mutt, gnome terminal, xemacs, gnuserv, debian etch

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 03:33:31PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 02:47:21PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >
> >>At this point, I am receiving mail, but no mail is being sent.
> >>
> >>The package chain is as follows:
> >>
> >>INCOMING MAIL:  pop3 server @ my ISP -->  getmail4  -->  maildrop  -->
> >>[maildir]  --> mutt
> >>
> >>OUTGOING MAIL:  smtp server @ my ISP  <--  exim4  <--  mutt
> >>
> >Did you configure exim for a smarthost? did you specify the smarthost
> >in /etc/exim4/passwd.client?
> >

> I have an ADSL connection with DHCP, so my ISP does not require
> authentication for outgoing mail.

okay, but you still need to tell exim which server to use, which I
think you would do from that same file. Here's the deal, mail is
darned confusing, if you ask me and it only seems to work after some
sort of magic incantations that I"m gradually learning. I have found
that its MUCH easier to configure exim (and debug that config) if you
use a single file configuration, which is one of the options in the
reconfigure. i think you have to copy the basic config file from
/usr/share/exim-something-or-other into your /etc/exim4/exim.conf and
then restart to use that file. I found it much easier to basically
read that WHOLE file as the comments are decent and by the end I had
some understanding...

> I think the problem may be that I do not understand the Debian
> configuration dialogue for exim4.  The dialogue asks whether to hide the
> local name in outgoing mail; I replied "no", inasmuch as it doesn't
> matter to me if someone knows that I am writing mail from "hamlet" or
> from "othello", which are, respectively, the desktop and laptop machines
> here in my LAN named "homedomain".  But perhaps I misconstrue the
> question.

if you don't hide the local name then your outgoing mail will look
like its

From: yourname@hamlet.homedomain

which is not a usable address outside your LAN. you should choose to
hide the local name and it will prompt you to provide the address to
rewrite the From: line with.

> Should I tell exim to make it appear as if all mail emanates from
> "localprovider.net", which currently is my ISP?

probably

> ("mail.localprovider.net" is the smarthost.)
>
> If so, then what happens when I tell mutt to place
> "harris@businessdomain.com" in the From: line of outgoing messages sent
> in the course of business?

depends. if you are otherwise using a bonestock exim config, then that
mail MAY look like its from harris@localprovider.net. However, there
are ways to allow exim to accept the From: headers untouched as they
come from mutt.

I did this on my LOCAL machines, I don't think its needed on the
server of my LAN since its just relaying for the other machines:

local_sender_retain = true
local_from_check = false
trusted_users = andrew

that allows the users specified as "trusted" to retain the local
sender information. Then you have to set up your from lines properly
in mutt. There is an option to allow untrusted users to retain local
sender, but I could never get it to work, hence I made myself
trusted... :^O

I do this successfully using mutt and folder hooks to set the sender
properly depending on which account I am mailing from. For example, I
mail to debian-user as andrew@farwestbilliards.com but I mail to
gnucash lists as ajswest@mindspring.com (stupid qmail on my other
provider gets me blacklisted at gnucash, but that's another story). So
when I switch to the debian-user folder, the folder hook changes my
from: header. When I switch over to gnucash-devel or -user then it
changes the from: header again.

again, hth